Saturday, February 28, 2009

Infowhore's Library - Braid

The other day I bought Braid for the X-box. When this game first came out I had downloaded the demo and loved it. Unfortuantly I had no money at the time, so I couldn't buy the full game. I removed the demo and promised myself that I would get this game someday. Someday came yesterday, eleven months after the game was released and I played the demo.

Why now and not sooner? Well I kind of forgot about the game. Which is not a statement about the game but a statement about how poor my memory can be.

Yesterday I noticed that X-Box live was offering Braid with a 33% discount. Seeing the name suddenly brought back the pure joy I had experienced with the demo. I quickly bought and downloaded it to my X-Box.

Braid looks like a standard 2D platformer however after the first time you rewind time you'll start to see there is something very special going on. At first you'll just be rewinding to recover from dying, later you'll walk through worlds were time moves as you moves forward and backward as you walk across the screen.


Did I mention this game looks gorgeous. Backgrounds look like paintings come to life. The music is lovely and soothing. Thus creating the perfect atmosphere to tackle time puzzles.

What I really like about this game is even when I am having trouble figuring out the solution to a difficult puzzle, I never feel frustrated or stupid. And when I do, I feel satisfied and really clever.

I also like the little homages to the Mario Bros. games. Like the carnivorous plants growing from pipes or the castles at the end of each world where you are greeted thusly:


That's all I got folks. I'm off now to save the princess. Uh, actually I have to go to work now, so the princess will have to wait just a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment