Sunday, March 15, 2009

Late night musings on Dollhouse

I should be asleep. It's late and I work tomorrow but I felt like typing up a little something so here I am. Do not expect anything too coherent.

I just got through watching the third and fourth episodes of Dollhouse.

For those that don't know Dollhouse is Joss Whedon's newest tv show. It stars Eliza Dushku as Echo a woman who has had her memory wiped. Echo is kept by the Dollhouse, a secret company that has the technology to wipe peoples minds and implant custom memories, personalities and skills. When not in the field Echo, like all the other 'actives', is wiped clean of all but the most basic knowledge and reduced to a childlike state.

I watched the first two episodes a few weeks ago. The first episode had very little explanation as to what was going on so I felt a little lost. The second episode had enough back story that it would have made for a better first episode. After seeing it I thought maybe the episode order was wrong but there are events in episode one that clearly happen before episode two. This may have been network meddling. This would not be the first time Fox asked Joss to reshoot the first episode of one of his shows.

After watching the first two episodes, I kind of forgot about the show. I enjoyed watching them but it didn't really grab me in a "I have to watch the next episode now!" way. So I let a few pile up on my hard drive until tonight.

I now have that gotta watch feeling. I'm starting to see the threads of the larger plotlines being weaved in and they have me exited. The FBI agent plotline that seemed tacted on, has started to get it's feet under itself and I'm starting to wonder how it will playout.

It's still to soon to say if this show will really take off but for now it has me wondering and waiting for what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment