Friday, March 20, 2009

Earrings and more job news

For like the past two days I've been thinking about doing this. Finnally today I got my rear in gear and got to the mall about half an hour before my shift started and got my ears pierced with a set of 14k white gold ball studs.

Here's a picture, which once again is dark and grainy because my camera's flash doesn't work:
first earings

I personally don't like the look of regular yellow gold, preferring sterling sliver or in this case white gold. I also don't like diamond studs, they just don't seem very interesting so I got simple ball studs. Keep in mind when I say I don't like yellow gold or diamond studs I mean for myself to wear. On other people they look good but I just don't see myself wearing them.

I've wanted to pierce my ears for sometime now. What kept my from doing it? Presenting as a male means I have had to follow the male dress code at my jobs and without fail they say males are not allowed to wear earrings. Getting my ears pierced was impossible. The last time I was unemployed I thought about getting them pierced but decided to save the money for more important things like rent and food.

So why do it now? Well at my current job the manager is cool with everyone's piercings. We have two guys who regularly wear earrings and a couple of the girls wear two or more sets, a practice that is also frowned upon by most dress codes.

I went into work hair down so my new earrings were not too visable. Of course I had to put my hair back in a ponytail while getting into uniform. I decided to see how long it would take for someone to notice and say something about my earrings. Well only one person said anything though I'm sure everyone at least saw them.

I'm going to wait a little while before getting anymore piercings. I'm thinking about getting a second piercing in each earlobe and one through the each helix. I may get something like this for one of the helix piercings:



Or I might not. I haven't decided yet.

Ok job news. My manager has said he wants me to move up to an assistant manager position along side the current assistant manager we have left. I feel better about being promoted knowing that I'm not being promoted over someone else.

The other day he told me that the lead assistant who was fired was making like six dollars more an hour than me while doing basically the same job. This got me thinking that when I get promoted I will be getting a raise which may make if feasible for me to afford my own apartment without budgeting to the hilt. I may also be able to afford to get a car. Not some junker parked in front of someone's house but a nice used car off a lot.

Just thinking about these possibilities makes me feel a little lightheaded. Right now nothing is set in stone and I'm trying not to plan too far into the future. Several things could happen that result in me not getting promoted. One possible future that keeps running through my mind is me coming out as transgender and then being fired. I know it's not likely. Everything I know about my manager and my regional manager says that they would not fire me. And yet I can't stop thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment