Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Trans Talk - Myth vs Fact

Transsexual Myth - Transsexuals hate their penis and can not be happy without gender reassignment surgery.

Trans* Fact - While this is true for some it isn't true for all, myself included. This myth comes from the fact that in order to be diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder a transsexual is expected to feel this way.

Some do dislike their genitals and do require surgery to feel comfortable in their bodies. Others may feel that surgery is their ultimate goal but then once transitioned find that being excepted as a woman is what they really need. Still others never feel this but may bend the truth to get medical help in transitioning.

Years ago while first researching transsexuality I came across this myth and not knowing any better excepted it as fact and set myself back by years. My thoughts at the time were something along the lines of, "Huh, I don't hate having a penis, so I'm not a transsexual."

I have since then read many transwomen's stories that have shown me that it's not about what's between your legs that matters. It's how you feel that's important. Feel like you're a woman but don't want to get rid of your penis. That's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment