Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2-8-11

Mood: I feel good right now. I did have an unexpected crying jag on Saturday. It was triggered by a sentimental commercial featuring a dying father. The thing I am most afraid of and that I know will one day come true is losing my parents. I've seen that commercial before but for some reason when I saw it this time I started crying. I didn't feel sad or depressed but I still couldn't stop crying for almost twenty minutes.

Happenings: I've started cooking healthier foods. Last night I tried making sushi rice again following this recipe from Alton Brown. I cut the recipe in fourth to yield a cup of rice. I used long grain rice instead of short grain. I followed the recipe but the rice came out a touch under cooked. I tinkered with the sauce that coats the rice, adjusting the suger and salt amounts. The rice tasted ok but I will have to play with it a little more to perfect it.

Also I stir fried some vegetables to top the rice with. While the rice was cooking I cut some red bell pepper, yellow onion, broccoli and a carrot. The bell pepper I cut into strips. I cut two thin slices of onion which I cut in half and separated the half rings. The broccoli I cut into small peices and the carrot I cut in half and then lengthwise into thin sticks.

I heated about two tablespoons of oil in a pan with a little garlic power for flavor. Once the pan and oil were sizzling hot I added the bell pepper and onion. I cooked them for about a minute before adding the rest of the vegetables along with some stir fry sauce(yes I cheated with a store bought sauce but I didn't have time to try to make my own sauce). I cooked the vegetables for about two or three more minutes stirring a couple of times to ensure even cooking.

The rice went into a bowl and the vegetables went on top straight from the pan:




So to recap, the rice was just a touch under cooked and the flavor was off but still good. I was very happy with how the veggies came out though.


Media: I finished an archive binge of Head Trip. It's a funny weird comic. Most of it is slice of life strips that sometimes comment on pop culture. Between that are short arcs of "The Adventures of Chemo Kid and Emo Kid" which are just awesome.


Writing: I've had a minor breakthrough on how to tweak a story that has been stalled for a several months.


Gilly

No comments:

Post a Comment