Sunday, February 6, 2011

2-6-11

Ironic isn't it that right after I mention that I was able to make my goal of five posts in a week, circumstances keep my from posting all the next week. Mostly it's been the freezing weather driving me home early and keeping me away from posting. I had a post written Wednesday but lost it to a system freeze and I don't want to try to rewrite it. My mood has been fine all week.

Anyway look at these:



I made sushi rolls!! Admittedly they're a little sloppy and the rice isn't quite right but I made them.

I've wanted to try my hand at making sushi for a while now but never got around to trying. Yesterday I boiled some rice for to add to a package of scampy flavored noddles. I had some left over and the thought popped into my head to make sushi rice at least. I looked up a recipe on my phone and found one from Alton Brown of Good Eats, which is my favorite cooking show. The only thing I needed for that recipe was rice vinegar. I headed over to H-E-B picked up the rice vinegar, a set of measuring spoons, measuring cup and a knife set. I also got a red bell pepper, cucumber and avocado to put inside the roll.

I made the rolls the way I've seen and read to make them to the best of my amateur ability. They weren't as tightly rolled as they should have been and the rice was a little mushy do to my overcooking it just a touch. Overall I think it's a good first effort but needs improvement before I can say I can make good sushi.

Gilly

No comments:

Post a Comment