Sunday, April 25, 2010

Someone got fired

No not me. Someone else. At my work. We've been short a few times in the last couple of weeks. Big even amounts. Thursday we were short. When I asked the woman, who I didn't want to think was doing what I thought she was doing, if anything had happened on the short register, she lied to me. I didn't know it was a lie but I felt it. I told me manager what I suspected. She looked over the security footage and found her stealing. So she was fired.

Part of me wants to be proud that I 'solved the mystery.' Part of me wishes I had stayed silent. Part of me wishes I wasn't quite so clever. The woman who was fired was my friend. (And you out there who wants to say if she had been my friend she wouldn't have stolen from the store, well you can just hush up cause sometimes people do things that don't seem very friendlike but still are friends.) But the larger part of me knows that I did what I had to do. As my manager said, "This is why you're the assistant manager." I looked out for the store's best interest. I did my job. I still feel lousy.

1 comment:

  1. You did the right thing. We don't always like doing the right thing, we have idioms for that, "No good deed goes unpunished". perhaps if she knew you told she'd not want to be your friend anymore...or perhaps she may have been stealing cause there was an issue where she felt she had to...You might never know.

    However, the greater good is this: You potentially saved someone, who was not the thief from being fired. What if someone else who was working the cash register came up short during the same shift? At my old work place everyone would have been a suspect. There would have been nothing you could do if someone suddenly came under scrutiny.

    I think you saved yourself also, because "you" as in the self is always important. We're all the main characters of our own story, be happy that you did a good job...and try not to feel bad.

    -K

    ReplyDelete